Pipe smoking: a beginner's guide
You would like to try pipe smoking, but don't know how to start?
Here are a few advices and recommandations for a relaxed start.
Choose your own pipe and the essential accessories:
- First of all, you need a pipe you like. You should avoid short pipes for a first pipe (since the stem and mouthpiece are short-sized, the smoke will not have enough time to cool down. The heat might be surprising and unpleasant for a beginner).
- A pipe with a small or medium chamber is ideal. You need only a small quantity of tobacco, plus the combustion is easier to maintain.
- Straight pipes are the most convenient, as air flows more easily into a straight than into a bent pipe. Furthermore, cleaning is also easier.
- Beginner kits contain a pipe along with the essentials accessories.
- 2 accessories are compulsory when smoking the pipe: always carry a pipe-tamper, in order to pack the tobacco and pipe-cleaners, in order to clean the inside of your pipe.
For instance, we recommend that pipe and these two accessories for a good start:
Beginner kits regroup one pipe along with the essentials accessories:
How to smoke pipe and how to clean it?
First of all, pipe smoking is all about enjoyment, patience and savouring the moment. Do not swallow the smoke and make it go down the lungs. Keep it in your mouth.
- Fill in only one third of the chamber (during the carbon cake build up, smoke one third ten times then two third for another ten times) and do not pour a large quantity of tobacco, rather, put in one pinch after another. Pack lightly the first pinch then pack firmly the last one.
- Light the whole surface of the chamber.
- Smoke your pipe until the last bit of tobacco. Go all the way down the chamber.
- When you are done smoking, empty your pipe but do not open it yet.
- Let your pipe cool down for a moment. Keep the head of the pipe down as much as possible.
- When your pipe is cold, hold the mouthpiece in one hand and hold the head in your other hand then twist it and pull it slowy as if the two parts were screwed into each other.
- Once your pipe is opened, remove the filter. In case it is a metal filter, clean it with soapy water. In case it is a disposable filter, throw it away (9mm filters may be used up to 3 or 4 times).
- Clean the shank and the stem with a pipe cleaner. As long as they come out dirty, use another one.
And remember, a cleaned pipe tastes better!
- Never open a warm pipe. The mouthpiece and the stem are not made of the same material. The rubber might slightly expand and you will experience difficulties.
- Use matches or a pipe-smoker's lighter. Avoid "wind-proof lighters" at all costs, as the flame would burn the edge of the bowl.
Feeling better? Let's give it a try. Pipe smoking must remain a pleasure, feel free to contact us for further assistance.